I'm literally speechless right now. Gobsmacked. There aren't enough superlatives available to express what over 52,000 Queenslanders witnessed last night as arguably the world's greatest modern era band, Coldplay, rocked Australia's greatest stadium to its foundations.
Openers - The Temper Trap
How fortunate I feel to be able to catch The Temper Trap yet again in 2012, and indeed this time on such an amazing stage. I mean, their Sydney Opera House gig earlier in the year was something pretty special, but tonight's warm-up set was full of energy, the band's usual epileptic inducing, strobing light show, and plenty of Dougie chitter-chatter.
All the ingredients were there.
Roadie 42's pano
As the army of black t-shirted minions appeared once again to break down and refurbish the stage ready for the main event, a member of Coldplay's stage crew appeared centre stage with a tripod.
"Roadie 42", as he is known, proceeded to snap off a number of frames which were stitched together to produce the following monster panoramic, made available on the band's website this morning.
The Coldplay magic begins!
Through an immediate explosion of pyrotechnics, rainbow lasers, flashing neon lights and an immersive experience like none I've ever experienced before, Coldplay took us all on a journey spanning their impressive collection of hits and unmistakable anthems.
Highlights for me?
- The opening couple of tracks – Mylo Xyloto, Hurts Like Heaven and all the production value that came along with these two great songs.
- Chris' tribute to Brissie boys Powderfinger, through a cover of their song "My Happiness". What a stellar, surprising moment that was (see below).
- Back-to-back-to-back anthems "Viva La Vida", "Charlie Brown" and "Paradise".
- "Fix You". Say no more.
- Those simple, colourful, flashing arm bands. What a sweet, natural progression from the ol' cigarette lighter!
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (Wednesday, 21 November, 2012)
- Mylo Xyloto
- Hurts Like Heaven
- My Place
- Major Minus
- Lovers in Japan
- The Scientist
- Violet Hill
- God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
- Princess of China
- Up In Flames
- Warning Sign
- My Happiness (Powderfinger cover)
- Don't Let It Break Your Heart
- Viva La Vida
- Charlie Brown
- Us Against The World *
- Speed of Sound *
- Clocks **
- Fix You **
- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall **
* Encore 1
** Encore 2
Links & Credits
- All images // Rob Masefield
- Coldplay // coldplay.com
- The Temper Trap // thetempertrap.com
- The Temper Trap @ Sydney opera House // masey.co